THE SOUTH, secrets of the volcanoes
Would you like to experience going deep into a volcano? …to understand the different types of eruptive process on the island?…to enjoy an unforgettable panoramic view from a single point boasting over 90 volcanic formations?
On the arid south of the island of Tenerife, treasures you may never have imagined are hidden in little-known spots. This is a journey into the land of volcanoes, where each of these geological formations reveals information, and where life has learnt to adapt itself perfectly between lava fields, badlands and wastelands.
In the lands to the South you will visit Arico, a site of unique geology, which hides an endless number of treasures to be explored. In remote villages featuring popular architecture, people have learnt to adapt to the environment by making best use of the resources available.
Lulled by the sounds of the sea, the volcanoes of hydrothermal origin lie along the coastline, which hides coloured volcanic structures, sculptures which could well have been carved by the hands of a talented artist.
On the way to the highlands, you will leave the characteristic ecosystem of the coastal zone made up of “tabaibas” and “cardones” (local vegetation). From the most outstanding viewpoints you will see vast plains dotted with volcanic cones. At the entrance to one of the highest villages in Spain, typical farming terraces covered in ash appear, which are considered to be a symbol of local identity. Here you will discover the importance of water use in this area.
Visiting the island without seeing the volcanoes may be impossible, but we suggest you going further, and tasting the local products grown on this volcanic land, which is what gives them their unique nuances.
From the subsoil to the surface, you will be presented with a vast portrait of haphazard volcanic shapes.
BOOKING WHY BOOK ONLINE?
CONFIRMATION OF AVAILABILITY AND IMMEDIATE BOOKING CONFIRMATION: there can be very limited places.
COMFORTABLE: it takes just four simple steps
SECURE PAYMENT: we provide secure data management and 100% purchasing guarantee. Pay online with your CREDIT CARD (Visa or Mastercard) or with PAYPAL
PURCHASE CONFIRMATION: you will immediately receive an e-mail confirming your purchase.
- This experience is available every day
- This experience is specially customised for cruise ship passengers.
- There are three types of booking:
o Private group booking, in a private minivan for groups of a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 8 people
o Small shared group booking, in a shared minivan for groups of a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 8 people
o Shared group booking, in a shared minibus of up to 20 people.
- Meeting time: To be confirmed depending on the arrival of your cruise, however, it will always be 30 minutes after the ship’s scheduled arrival time.
- Meeting point: Right next to the access ramp to the city centre, where the Port’s Marina building is located. (Look for a building with a pyramid-shaped glass roof.) You can see detailed information about the meeting point by clicking here and printing or saving the map. Do not take the Shuttle Bus; go by foot from the ship to the meeting point following the blue line marked on the ground in the direction of the “City Centre”. The walk will take you about 15-20 minutes. Your guide will be waiting for you there.
- Duration: Approximately 6 to 8 hours. This depends on the schedule of your ship on the island.
- Places visited: the hamlet of Icor, village of Arico Nuevo, Tajao, Montaña Roja, San Miguel de Abona and Vilaflor
- Optional lunch (payable extra upon booking the tour)
- Languages: Spanish, English and German
- Private group, in a private minivan for groups of a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 8 people: 176€ per passenger
- Small shared group, in a shared minivan for groups of a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 8 people: 89€ per passenger
- Shared group, in a shared minibus of up to 20 people: 79€ per passenger. *(In the event that there is not a minimum number of 9 people, it would be possible to carry out the tour in a small group of 8 people paying a supplement of 10€ per passenger.)
- “Gastronomic Experience” Extra: 20€ per person
- With the goal of enhancing your experience, we offer a range of extra services that you can choose to add on when booking your tour.
- Punctuality is recommended at the beginning of the experience to make the most of the time given in the itinerary.
- We recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Take sun protection and warm clothes -remember that Tenerife has many microclimates.
- Taking a small backpack will help you to keep track of your personal belongings.
- An accredited, official guide in Spanish, English and German
- Transport in a van or minibus *(it depends on the type of booking)
- Pick-up at the assigned meeting point (APIT Tenerife)
- Drop-off at the maritime station (shuttle bus stop). It only takes 5 minutes to get back to the cruise ship from here.
- Accident, rescue and civil liability insurance for the vehicle and passengers
- Lunch and meals* (see “extras” section)
- Entry tickets to museums and other attractions
- Everything else which is not explicitly included
A meal in a traditional restaurant where you will enjoy a tasting menu designed with fresh, local products from Vilaflor, and cooked using traditional recipes:
- Fresh goat’s cheese with fig marmalade
- “Escaldón de gofio” with fried pork rind and dry figs
- Chickpea stew
- Wreckfish in onion sauce with wrinkled potatoes.
- Goat’s meat from the Chasna region.
- Local wine from the Abona region
- Soft drinks
- Coffee or tea